a zest for fashion. lifestyle. & design

Thursday, January 3, 2013


I'm back, had to take some necessary time off from blogging to enjoy being a new Mama! For my first post back I wanted to share Kinsley's birth story with you!

At my 39 week doctor appointment I found out I was already 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. With that news my doctor then offered to schedule an induction. I was surprised by the thought of an induction it just wasn't how I envisioned my delivery story. I assumed it would all happen naturally. However, being that my due date was only 5 days away we decided to schedule the induction to avoid going to 41 weeks. 

So on the morning of October 4th we excitedly jumped out of bed started to shower and prepare for our 6am hospital check in. However before we got out the door my phone rang, it was the hospital calling to bump us back because they had a few walk-ins the night before and the delivery suites were all full. So we were told they would call us later and let us know once a room opened up. We paced around the house, watched TV, tried to nap, and fielded many texts and calls from family and friends who wanted to know if the baby had arrived. It was the longest day of my life for sure!! Finally around 3:00pm the hospital called and told us to head in. We were giddy on our way to the hospital, we were finally going to meet our little bundle of joy! 

We checked in at registration at 4pm and were shown to our room. I slipped on my gown and Matt found his chair and flipped on the TV to watch the Cardinals game...Men!

Our first nurse Hillary came in and started my IV and the pitocin drip, this is when reality set in for me... needles, blood, and tubes oh my. I immediately requested my epidural, Hilary thought I was joking, she asked me...Are you in any pain? On a scale from 1-10 where are you? I had prepared for this question I knew to exaggerate my pain if I wanted my epidural. I said I was a 3, I was really a zero! Needless to say she talked me into waiting until my contractions were stronger so I didn't slow down my labor.  So Matt & I just hung out, watched TV, and tried to relax as we waited for more progress.
Not too long after my doctor arrived to check my cervix again and to break my water. Let me tell you I have never felt a more strange sensation as I did when my water broke, it felt like peeing your pants on a whole new level!

In the midst of it all the door swung open and I heard a familiar voice, I was relieved to see my mom pop her head in the door! I was surprised to see her because we told our parents we would call them closer to delivery but I was so happy to have her there to calm me down and wish us good luck!

Around 7pm Hillary returned to up my pitocin level and introduce us to Linda the night nurse taking over for her. At this point I was 4cm still feeling great and still without an epidural 3 hours in.  However, things changed pretty quickly an hour later my contractions were quite a bit stronger, I was at a 6-7 as far as pain goes and I wanted my epidural asap. Matt was a great coach he was supportive and let me squeeze his hands as hard as I needed as I waited for my epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived 45 mins after my request and not a minute too soon, I was starting to get really anxious. I swear angels sang once that epidural kicked in, my body felt warm all over and the relief was instant.  My doctor came back and basically said she was going home to bed until I was closer to delivery most likely early the next morning. We thought nothing of it and called our parents to give them the updates and tell them it would be awhile.

Around 10pm literally one hour after my epidural and 6 hours in Linda came back for her regular check in and much to all of our surprise the baby was at 9cm! She said not to push or jokingly sneeze because she could see her head and it was time to call my doctor in.

My doctor arrived what seemed like 10 minutes later and it was go time. I literally couldn't feel a thing from the waste down & so the nurses had to bring in a large mirror on wheels so I could see when my contractions were coming and know when to push. At first I hated the idea I didn't want to see the delivery or have my husband get a full view but it was actually really amazing to watch!  Our doctor also let us feel her head as it crowned which was so surreal.  30 mins of pushing and our little baby girl was here.  To hear her little cry and see her for the first time was so amazing, beautiful, organic, emotional, spiritual, & life changing!   Matt was given the honor of cutting her umbilical cord and then she was put in my arms. My heart felt overwhelmed with love and admiration of her, she was perfect in every way!


Our little baby doll Kinsley Flynn was born at 11:40 pm on October 4th. She weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 20 inches long.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! So thrilled for you guys! Kinsley is gorgeous! Would love to meet her! xo